Applying for Awards, Bursaries, and Scholarships
Many organizations offer awards, bursaries, and/or scholarships to students interested in post-secondary education. Money awarded this way does not have to be paid back. Obtaining awards, bursaries, and/or scholarships require time and effort. Below are some tips that might be helpful:
- Research to identify companies and organizations that offer awards, bursaries, and/or scholarships.
- Search online for post-secondary institutions that have Financial Aid and Awards departments. Scholarship search engines and online resources are also good sites to visit.
- A variety of websites are listed under Links to Awards, Bursaries, and Scholarships on the Jobworks Adult Learning Centre website.
- Check the criteria for each award, bursary, and/or scholarship. Generally, there is a list of criteria that must be met for consideration. It is a good idea to submit an application even if the criteria are not fully met.
- Be sure to complete all components that are required for consideration. There is often an application, a writing component, a request for reference letters, etc.
- Ensure that deadlines are met. Submitting the application on time or early is advised.